✅ [PDF / Epub] ☉ Moment in Peking By Lin Yutang ⚣ – Dailytradenews.co.uk

Moment in Peking pdf Moment in Peking, ebook Moment in Peking, epub Moment in Peking, doc Moment in Peking, e-pub Moment in Peking, Moment in Peking 984e125d4bc This Novel Is Neither An Apology For Contemporary Chinese Life Nor An Expose Of It, As So Many Recent Chinese Dark Curtain Novels Purport To Be It Is Neither A Glorification Of The Old Way Of Life Nor A Defense Of The New It Is Merely A Story Of How Men And Women In The Contemporary Era Grow Up And Learn To Live With One Another, How They Love And Hate And Quarrel And Forgive And Suffer And Enjoy, How Certain Habits Of Living And Ways Of Thinking Are Formed, And How, Above All, They Adjust Themselves To The Circumstances In This Earthly Life Where Men Strive But The Gods Rule

10 thoughts on “Moment in Peking

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , 3, 263 XIX 40 XX , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , e , , , , , , , , , , , , 1943 , , , , , , , , , 1940 1950, My Country and My People The Importance of Living , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Lin Yutang was then considering introducing Dream of the red chamber to the Western world, but he wrote this novel Moment in Peking instead due to following reasons The delicate beauty of ancient languages and poems is certainly beyond the capability of any translator, even this could be done, westerners would not be able to appreciate its glamour China was then undergoing the most dramatic changes in her recent millennium, transforming from an old dynasty to a new republic, and also in her darkest period, humiliated by warlords and foreign invaders However, there is hope of a new China coming into place, with the young revolutionary generation, firmly holding their modern beliefs and ideas Yes, China shall survive, as long as babies were still being born on this land and old fashioned family women like Mania were in support of the warfare The last century has been a marvelous one, and no other would serve a better era for the novel Lin Yutang not only advocated Chinese culture, history and philosophy to Occidentals, but also claimed justice and respect for this old nation and her courageous people, who would never give in to adversity This is a long novel a thousand pages took me about a week, but as reading proceeds, time ceases to be a concern with the ever growing fascination The first part is less interesting depicting Yao s early life in the royal capital of Peking However, it is through reading trivial stories that we become familiar with the characters, like someone we know for life Once we withdraw from our own story into theirs, pity and regret, joy and merry follow, with tears and laughter Among all characters in this novel, I like Old Yao the best, then his daughter Mulan and the second son in law, Lifu Old Yao is a ferryman with wisdom, a liberal Taoist seeking harmony and all of a sudden left home for ten years in the wild universe, and a Zen Buddhist who discards articulation and always remains open minded He resembles Lin Yutang, or at least, acts as Lin Yutang s ideal figure Lin Yutang certainly has the wisdom, the poetic temperament, and great tolerance for life He has three daughters as well, one committed suicide for love, which would have caused him extreme sorrow but clearer understanding of life and death He worked hard, but equally enjoyed leisure and nature Although Lin spent many years abroad, writing in English, he nonetheless had deepest concerns for his country and used his pen as weapon It is hard to reach a balance in life, between seriousness and playfulness, internal and external, reality and dream One needs than determination and wellbeing, but right circumstances and an awakened soul Lin did it, so did Old Yao, and how I wish I could be one of them After my children have all settled, I would leave and perhaps never come back, wandering between the heaven and earth No one knows me, and I care about no one Being free is all what I desire Mulan is my favorite woman in this novel and the whole story seems to be told in her perspective She is well educated in both Chinese literature and modern subjects Born with a whimsical but easygoing temperament, she is like her father, longs for simplicity of life and security of family, but time won t allow it her daughter died in the student demonstration and her only son joined the army, swearing not coming back until they drive Japan into the sea In the first few chapters, Mulan got lost as a kid on Yao s fleet from boxers, and she was staring a fleet again at the end of the book, escaping Japanese invasion But the second fleet was not only for safety, but to preserve the nation s power and fight back when possible She is poetic, which makes her lovely, but she also has the great wisdom like her father does Mulan is admirable, she is always a girl, and at the same time, a mother Lifu, represents the image of a new China, being righteous and determined, who never yields to his enemies, or equivalently new China s He is easily agitated, and he cares about the nation s future, despite being a scientist in biology He was not born into a rich family like Yaos and Tsengs, but he is a man of principle and morality as well as talents, and he never gives up fighting for what he thinks is right No wonder Old Yao would marry Mochow to Lifu, and he does need a realistic woman to put him in constraints, for his own safety The tragedy is Mulan loved Lifu Mulan s husband, Sunya and Mochow, Lifu s wife both knew it, but they kept it silent It is the tragedy that makes a story enchanting, and it is perhaps Lin Yutang s own story he fell in love with the daughter of a rich Gulangyu merchant, but he had to marry another They are still in a close relationship, but not ideal, who says life should be ideal then Even marriage and love are subject to fate, better be contented with what we have Of course, this novel cannot be compared to Dream of the red chamber , but this is as good as you could expect from a Chinese writer commanding English Lin Yutang was a poor southerner from Amoy, but he demonstrated a supreme understanding of Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou and life of big families there Moment in Peking is far beyond being a novel it is a lively record of what China has gone through in the last century and what we descendants should remember But Lin, at that time, failed to foresee what would be waiting for the new China after wining her victory against Japanese.

Humane, informative, reflective, fun After being interested in reading a novel about China for the first time, I came across a Canadian art teacher who has been living in China for the last 10 years He recommended Lin Yutang s Moment in Peking He told me Hector, this is one of the most beautiful novels I ve ever read Convinced to buy it, I checked the length of the novel Wow, 950 pages This was going to be the biggest novel I have ever read I m an amateur reader So I finally bought it and had it in my hands and I start reading, motivated After almost a month I was 650 pages through it and decided to take some time to reflect on it and one month later I took it again and devoured the 300 last pages Here my thoughts about the novel divide in 3 parts The daughters of a Taoist In the first part of this novel we are introduced to Mulan and Mochow, the daughters of Mr and Mrs Yao We venture through their childhood and adolescence, and watch them experience love, tradition and the meaning of being a woman in Chinese traditional culture It was a very entertaining section except for the abuse of romance that I found exaggerated It s crazy to think that holding a hand or an arm could be such a big deal between man and woman The culture was a very big part of this first section and I learned many things that are not so easy to find out in a museum in actual times Tragedy in the Garden This was my least favorite section of the novel It was hard to keep up with the many characters involved in the first section of the book and in the second we are introduced to even that now are an important part of the novel This section is about the maturity of Mulan and the girls and is full of weddings and soap opera kind of romantic drama The most interesting of this section was the historical changes occurring in the background the Manchurian government, the foreign influence, the changes that were happening around or characters and how these started to affect them their culture and believes The politics were slightly touched only to be exploded in the last section of the novel The Song of Autumn This was the best part of the novel Three hundred pages of amazing storytelling This period of time when China was fighting with itself, changing governments on a daily basis and then uniting agains a common enemy Being a mother now, Mulan sees the world in a different way and after some mayor changes in her life, she finally discovers unity and simplicity This novel is charged with history about the war of resistance and it s a very powerful human story about power of will and patriotism The last 50 pages are very emotional and full of great moments left with an ending that leaves you wanting for Overall this novel was very good, with its down moments to its spectacular ones A great story about a family in Peking and how life is just like a passing cloud in the infinite sky.

I saw bits and pieces of the series for this novel with Vicki Zhao, and when I looked it up, I found that it was serialized from a novel I got a hold of a copy of the book and read it I liked the book a lot better than the series While the characters seem to hold love in a different light, and were very traditional, it was compliant with the people of that time and the way they dealt with love My favorite character was the protagonist Mulan And while it saddened me that she was not able to marry the one she loved, I was still happy that she did not have a sad ending The novel spans a long time period, where the children of the characters have already grown up The families in the novel goes through a lot of hardships and wartimes For me, it was an enjoyable read, something I wouldn t mind rereading, and I was especially surprised to find that the novel was originally in English A Chinese author, a Chinese setting. Why is it in English But I usually try to read a novel in its original language, so I was glad it was in English, as reading Chinese seems to take me much time Read it if you have the chance, you won t regret it Hopefully haha.

Lin, Yutang is a brilliant Chinese writer who wrote countless good books in Chinese and in English He was even nominated for Nobel prize in literature in 40s He wrote moments in Peking first in English, then it was translated into Chinese I first read it in Chinese in the 1980s I re read it in English two years ago It is a great book for people who want to learn a little about China s past The book described the life of a few ordinary but well educated Chinese upper middle class familys life from late 1800s to 1930s.

Why read this bookMoment in Peking has been described as an historical novel, originally written in English by Chinese scholar and writer Lin Yutang The novel covers the turbulent events in China from 1900 to the mid 1930s, and includes the Boxer Uprising of 1900, the Revolution of 1911 that kicked out the emperor, the ensuing Warlord Era, and the start of the brutal Japanese invasion in the mid 1930s.When I left secondary school in 1967, jobs were hard to find in Singapore In the day I worked as a factory odd job labourer and at night I gave tuition to two primary school brothers One day their father, a wealthy man working as general manager of a supermarket chain, gave me an old, dust covered book, Moment in Peking That was my first sight of this novel.I d already read some of Lin Yutang s anthologies in school and was mesmerised by his expressive language and elegant diction which I imitated in my composition lessons, thus earning me the reputation of possessing the most powerful English among the secondary students in Singapore in the mid 1960s So, an English text novel by Lin was a treasure to me I ve since re read and dip into this book countless times The book has since been translated into Chinese as Although the novel is historical and the chaos of old China is now only a fading memory, the events Lin recounts has an immediacy for me Lin begins his story in 1900 in Peking when the Yao family is making preparation to flee the city because of the Boxer Rebellion My own father was born in 1911, the year the Emperor abdicated and the Republic established My father left his village in Mei Hsien county in Guangdong province when he was 20, to seek his fortune in British Malaya and in Java the Dutch East Indies then He met my mother in Singapore, they married and then moved to neighbouring Riau island where he managed a sundry goods shop I was born in 1951, two years after Mao s Red Army drove out the Koumintang and closed the country s borders.Although I grew up in Singapore, I find the customs, practices and values of the people in the novel familiar to me Reading Moment in Peking is to have a glimpse of life in the pre communist world of my father and his migrant generation before they left the old country.On writing this novel, Dr Lin Yutang says What is a novel but a little talk, as the name hsiaoshuo implies So, reader, listen to this little talk awhile when you have nothing better to do This novel is neither an apology for contemporary Chinese life nor an expos of it, as so many recent Chinese dark curtain novels purport to be It is neither a glorification of the old way of life nor a defence of the new It is merely a story of how men and women in the contemporary era grow up and learn to live with one another, how they love and hate and quarrel and forgive and suffer and enjoy, how certain habits of living and ways of thinking are formed, and how, above all, they adjust themselves to the circumstances in this earthly life where men strive but the gods rule.Check out this link for on the book

I read this while living in Beijing in 2001 It was one of the few books in English that I could get my hands on, and I was transported I really felt like it added to my understanding of the place I was living in, and it certainly filled in a few gaps in my knowledge of history.I tried reading it again later, when I was home, but found it hard to get into.

This was just wonderful Somuch detail about the History of the last 150 years in China but told through the story of a great and i teresting family.

This was my Grandfather s favorite book of all time, and for that reason, I felt a great appreciation for the literature It is a long book which sometimes, to me, felt like it was dragging, and the language of the book requires extra effort to absorb But it is a lovely story of humanity and devotion I will likely not read it again, but I m glad I finished the book.