❮Reading❯ ➿ Servants' hall Author Margaret Powell – Dailytradenews.co.uk

Servants' hall files Servants' hall, read online Servants' hall, free Servants' hall, free Servants' hall, Servants' hall 845479aff Margaret Powell S Below Stairs, A Servant S Firsthand Account Of Life In The Great Houses Of England, Became A Sensation Among Readers Reveling In The Luxury And Subtle Class Warfare Of Masterpiece Theatre S Hit Television Series Downton Abbey In Servants Hall, Another True Slice Of Life From A Time When Armies Of Servants Lived Below Stairs Simply To Support The Lives Of Those Above, Powell Tells The True Story Of Rose, The Under Parlourmaid To The Wardham Family At Redlands, Who Took A Shocking Step She Eloped With The Family S Only Son, Mr GeraldGoing From Rags To Riches, Rose Finds Herself Caught Up In A Maelstrom Of Gossip, Incredulity And Envy Among Her Fellow Servants The Reaction From Upstairs Was No Better Mr Wardham, The Master Of The House, Disdained The Match So Completely That He Refused Ever To Have Contact With The Young Couple Again Gerald And Rose Marry, Leave Redlands And Powell Looks On With Envy, Even As The Marriage Hits On Bumpy Times To Us In The Servants Hall, It Was Just Like A Fairy Tale How I Wished I Was In Her Shoes Once Again Bringing That Lost World To Life, Margaret Powell Trains Her Pen And Her Gimlet Eye On Her Betters In This Next Chapter From A Life Spent In Service Servants Hall Is Margaret Powell At Her Best A Warm, Funny And Sometimes Hilarious Memoir Of Life At A Time When Wealthy Families Like Ruled England

10 thoughts on “Servants' hall

Margaret Powell relates incidents from her time in service When the son of one of her employers runs off with a maid it causes a big to do both upstairs and down The master and upper servants are furious at this breaching of class distinctions while Margaret and the younger servants think it s a fairy take come true Margaret would have jumped at the chance to become a real lady but Rose stubbornly clings to her working class roots, parroting her mother s evangelical religious beliefs and her father s hatred of the ruling class Margaret and another friend from service, Mary, continue to visit Rose and try to remain friends through the turbulent marriage though never fully feeling comfortable with the situation Meanwhile Margaret and Mary go out in search of their princes They kiss a lot of men who turn out to be frogs rather than princes but it doesn t stop them from hoping Margaret sees service as a means to an end rather than a permanent situation I found this memoir engaging than the first one because it had a central plot rather than a disjointed set of remembrances I especially liked the upstairs downstairs conflicts and learning about how people viewed those distinctions and the possibility of moving up in the world Rose s story is heartbreaking and anything but a fairy tale I felt sorry for her and I also had sympathy for her husband because Rose was just SO annoyingly stubborn For those who like Downton Abbey and Upstairs, Downstairs and wonder what life in service was really like, this book is for you It s not necessary to have read any of Margaret Powell s other books to enjoy this one.

The title of this book is A Real Life Upstairs, Downstairs Romance it is rather misleading The story is told by Margaret, the kitchen maid who becomes a cook The story is mainly about her, Margaret with the story about Rose, the under maid being rather a sub plot The book was OK, my copy was 183 pages long, but the story could have been told in probably 80 pages And I mean the whole story, not just the part of the story that deals with Rose Margaret only works at the home with Rose for about 4 months, but as they become friends she occasionally visits Rose and hears updates of her new life above stairs Margaret moves from house to house as a kitchen maid and then as a cook Sometimes she works for kind people, sometimes not Sometimes she likes her co workers, sometimes not Not a lot of variety in the subject And several times we read what she prepared for meals I think a lot of this was just to fill space as this is really a short story I became bored with the repetitiveness after about half way through Another technique I believed was used to lengthen the story was repeat phrases, like my friend Mary came to visit, or my friend Mary met me at, or my friend Mary said I know Mary is your friend already Margaret is also well read and the author throws in random quotes from books without necessarily referencing the book Most, if not all, the quotes meanings were lost on me Sorry, I guess I am not as well read as Margaret But I found it annoying to read some quote that didn t mean anything to me and was typically in prose or old English, and believe me it happens often Also, Odette, a French maid in one house keeps talking in French Fair enough I guess, but as I don t understand French, again lost on me Sometimes the author did translate what Odette had to say, but now I get to read it twice, once time that I didn t understand but struggled to as I didn t know for sure if the author would translate and then again sometimes in English Again I wonder if this was done to lengthen the story Anyway, although the story was cute I would not recommend the book In my opinion keep searching until you find something better on which to spend your money.

I am a fan of the TV show Downton Abbey so very interested in reading books from authors who actually worked downstairs for the big houses.Margaret Powell has written several books about the years she worked as a kitchen girl and then worked up to cook this book she is an assistant cook in a big house in the 1920s she writes some of the families she has worked for but mainly about herself and the staff she works with This book focuses on herself, and a couple of the staff members one in particular is Rose a beautiful kitchen girl who catches the interest of the son upstairs of the family that lives there an upstairs wealthy family member who takes an interest in the help is unheard of and not usually accepted.Gerald the rich son and Rose start up a relationship and marry Gerald s father never accepts the marriage and neither does Rose s dad who hates and resents the well to do A part of this book has Margaret and another staff member Mary who visits Rose over the years and witnesses how the life is for Rose and her wealthy husband Rose has a baby girl with Gerald.and soon the marriage goes downhill this is an interesting book Margaret Powell does a fine job describing inservice work during the 1920s.

Well I haven t read her earlier memoir, Below Stairs, yet and after reading this I d still like to do so So that says something.I didn t love the author all the time however, her voice and the fairly reasonable way she looked at situations kept me interested It made me feel like Downton Abbey is doing a pretty good job showing the life of domestic servants in the 20s, including the squabbles over hierarchy and personal dignity they are doing this particularly well with Mr Molesley and the attempt to have something of a life in a job where you only get one full day off a month.The central thread of this memoir centers on the story of Rose, a parlourmaid who achieves the ultimate dream or commits the ultimate sin of capturing the attention of the son of the household and he doesn t want to just have his way with her, he wants to MARRY her Predictably, it is not a smooth road The book shows the difficulties faced by the couple from all sides, and frankly, I think the author is about as sympathetic as I would have been.Overall, it s a quick, interesting read.

I picked up this book because it was similar in nature to the TV show series Downton Abbey which I thoroughly enjoy However, this book wasn t as enjoyable and was like a Diary of the author s time while in service It was all about how she moved around in service , what the personalities of the other s downstairs were like and how the female servants tried to get out of service by getting married in various ways I guess I just would rather have a well written story than a biography which is like a diary.

Dry not much of a story moral is don t marry above your station Only reason this came out was popularity of Downton Abbey.

This was a fun read It definitely lent some perspective to both Downton Abbey and Upstairs, Downstairs, which I enjoyed Considering the author a cook in London the 20s and 30s is not a professional writer, the book was pretty readable and kept a or less clear storyline.The romance at the center of the story was both interesting and sad, but the story bounces between that a former co worker of hers that married the son of the master employing them and various anecdotes from her later positions All of it was interesting, especially as I mentioned after watching shows set in the same time period and with the same subject matter.I recommend it for a quick, easy read.

I just couldn t get into reading this I really enjoyed Maragret s first novel, but this one just fell flat It s a small book but it got so boring that I couldn t even finish it Maybe it s the because the story this time was about an under parlour maid instead of Margaret herself, but I felt utterly disconnected from the characters They didn t feel very alive on the page, and I just wasn t invested in Rose s story enough to finish this already slim novel The time I can use tackling my October to be read TBR pile is too precious to waste

2.5 stars Second book following Powell s breakthrough memoir of service Below Stairs Figured I d read it next This one is much zoomed in than the first, and as a consequence very differently paced Unfortunately when a memoir is so zoomed in it gives one cause to doubt the tiny details, and some other habits of the writing I found irritating That said though, it is a really unique book, with half a star added solely for the last few pages of heart wrenching reality.

Fun read Great descriptions about life as a servant She kept alluding to her getting married and I kept waiting for the story to weave in as she talked of several beau s In the end, she never shared much about her actual falling in love But still enjoyed it.