❰Epub❯ ➟ Superbosses Author Sydney Finkelstein – Dailytradenews.co.uk

Superbosses files Superbosses , read online Superbosses , free Superbosses , free Superbosses , Superbosses a94e3599d What Do Football Coach Bill Walsh, Restaurateur Alice Waters, Television Executive Lorne Michaels, Technol Ogy CEO Larry Ellison, And Fashion Pioneer Ralph Lauren Have In Common On The Surface, Not Much, Other Than Consistent Success In Their Fields But Below The Surface, They Share A Common Approach To Finding, Nurturing, Leading, And Even Letting Go Of Great People The Way They Deal With Talent Makes Them Not Merely Success Stories, Not Merely Organization Builders, But What Sydney Finkelstein Calls Superbosses They Ve All Transformed Entire Industries

10 thoughts on “Superbosses

Superbosses is everything that is good and bad about business books There is a core good idea some leaders are very good, intentionally or unintentionally, at developing talent, and maintaining networks of current and former employees or prot g s Finkelstein conducted interviews with famous leaders across industries who seem to meet this definition, grouping them into 3 main types, and then contrasting their behaviors vs normal bosses.Some of this seems to be taken a bit too far to justify personal quirks on the part of some leaders None of this is really tested or analyzed in a quantified way I ll take some of the advice because it seems both good and harmless, but other things seem overly capricious and downright toxic.However this didn t need to be hundreds of pages or in my case, a 10 hour audiobook A 20 page summary would have been definitive I could have spent another 9.5 hours living the superboss methodology.

Every time I read a book like this I am like, this would make a good Economist supplemental issue.Because its goddamn miserable as a book.

This is a book by a Professor at Dartmouth s Tuck School about Supermanagers and how they operate As best as I can tell, the intuition is that a Supermanager is someone whose firm or organization has achieved outstanding and continued performance under that person s leadership and whose tenure is marked by extensive and prolonged work with prot g s in an apprenticeship format in which junior managers are trained by the Supermanager to succeed in the firm and who subsequently move on to outstanding performance after leaving the firm by becoming a leader elsewhere and thus joining the alumni network of the Supermanager Supermanagers are individuals who develop a critical vision of their industry and know how to implement it By nurturing prot g s, management depth in a firm is developed which assures the firm s continued success and spreads the keys to success through the industry in question and to related businesses The punchline is that by understanding Supermanagers, who while unique can still be observed and chronicled, regular managers can make progress in improving their own performance and perhaps even become Supermanagers themselvesthat is at least what the claim is, but upon closer examination this book is very disappointing If these managers are so unique and that is the claim then conducting structured interviews with a bunch of them and their prot g s will not necessarily provide much insight into what they do or how the uninitiated can join the club.Top managers have been the focus of business research for a very long time and to this day little is really known about them Anyone who is curious should go and read Chester Barnard s The Functions of the Executive or some essays by Mary Parker Follett It is very unclear to me that current studies of top management have much to add to what we know than these early classics This is a theoretical problem and not a matter of bad research although there has been plenty of that Many of not most of the systems of firms and large organizations have been rationalized and standardized through the use of bureaucratic rules and a variety of analytic scheme, from accounting systems, to corporate finance, to various decision science schemes, As the firm has become rationalized, the top of the firm is where these different subsystems come together in order for the entire firm to function in a consistent fashion That integration will of necessity be less rationalized and highly idiosyncratic so that a given firm can function in a given setting facing a specific set of problems It is hard to come up with a standard routine way of organizing decisions at the top of the firm, which makes the result inherently less organized, messier, and fuzzier for managers These are the decision areas that Finkelstein is concerned with and it is very hard to come up with a general approach to what such Supermanagers do, since it will depend greatly on the time, the location, and particular business, and the people Finkelstein notes this in his introduction and then proceeds to offer a standardized and general approach for learning from these special managers that does away with all the complexity One cannot have it both ways.This problem is clear from the initial identification of Supermanagers onward That the individuals discussed are top super managers is made clear by their firm s performance even though how top managers contribute to that performance is less clear Given a strong performance record, if one goes around asking managers and their prot g s the reasons for their success, it is certain that reasons will be provided that focus on the knowledge, skills, and personal attributes of the managers Dumb luck or the mistakes of others are seldom cited as reasons for one s success The fundamental attribution error remains alive and well in top management research.The second part of Finkelstein s argument concerns the value of the Supermanager training prot g s who go on to excel elsewhere This no doubt happens and the training and recommendations of the mentor may help to explain it but what is really new about that Again, if we do not know much about what constitutes good management besides aggregate results, is it surprising that managers with experience at successful firms will be seen as valuable elsewhere In a risk averse management world, why not hire someone who has served time with a winner Why is this new The case studies have some interesting details, but the individuals that Finkelstein focuses upon have had well publicized careers to say the least The industries selected are varied, but do we really need analyses of football team success or high end gourmet restaurants And is there something else to be said about Larry Ellison s management style that hasn t been said Not here.The conceptual problem is that the book sets up Supermanagers as unique industry transforming individuals who do not follow standard human resource scripts but instead display an intense intuitive grasp of the business Having defined one s phenomena that way, it is somewhat disconcerting to continue into the book and find a fairly standard trade approach to the topic in which a few fairly straightforward arguments are repeated numerous times, with breaks taken to drop a few names of the business deity If it is what is claimed, it does not strike me as something that can be neatly summed up in some HBR articles chapters.I get the idea Apprenticeship ideas in management are under examined, even though this sort of behavior has been common at the top consulting firms for decades It is OK as these books go, but I expected a bit and was disappointed.

When my boss recommended and lent this book to me i thought oh another management book, great But i found just what i needed, examples of great people, people i can aspire to be This book does an analysis of the traits the best bosses in the world have, to my surprise is not about them, it is all about what they can do for their employees that makes them great, their positive influence on other is what makes them successful, this is mentioned over and over again with many different examples.In this time of my life where i have the honor to lead a team i feel super energized by this book to be the best boss possible for them and with them succeed.

Find a summary rather I normally steer clear of books with a low rating unless I ve been personally referred , but this book was a gift from a good friend so I thought I d give it a try I got through the first 70 pages and then progress ground to a halt It started becoming too repetitive Sydney seems to have done a good job of researching and finding these superboss examples for us, but the constant context switching between anecdotes doesn t work for me.There is a long list of credible endorsements for the book, I now very much doubt that a single one of these people actually read the whole book do they ever

Even though I am far from being a boss but I do find the perspective this book provides to be quite enlightening It is definitely nice to understand from the viewpoints of the managers bosses so that being employees we can work better together to achieve the same goals So here are the takeaways 1 understanding working style differences how she he like to feedback How she handles conflict Key priorities outside work, how to structure work so she can complete all priorities When is he least productive What support he like to receive from others Preferences on communication2 important for an organisation to promote both collaboration and competitionI can draw parallel of this point between work settings and also the voluntary camp facilitation work that I do As a group leader, I have to help my participants work together cohesively, but also instil the drive and competitiveness to win and succeed together This is something I will continue to tweak and figure out Overall it s a nice book, and I do hope to reread the book again when I move up to a senior position.

This book attempts to identify the similarities between bosses that have a great deal of success in not only running a business, but also in hiring, retaining, and motivating exceptional employees The author accomplishes this through his many different stories of people that exhibit the traits of a superboss This approach exposes the readers to some techniques that are characteristic of superbosses, but is far from a how to guide for those wanting to follow in the footsteps of the greats mentioned in this book.If you are looking for a step by step guide on how to become a superboss, you will be disappointed However, if you are looking for some entertaining anecdotes that will give you ideas about new ways to work with your team, this book is a worthwhile read.

I highly recommend this book to all interviewees ahead of answering the question, why do you want to work here or why do you want to work for me Plenty of material to help frame the request of working for someone you admire.I ve long been supportive of the apprenticeship model Too bad it s no longer en vogue If you find someone you admire, doing something you re passionate about, there s no alternative for aligning yourself with them I definitely benefited from the suggestions of recognizing and even becoming a Superboss.

1 This book was published in 2016.Hilary Clinton was one of the 12 people cited as being an example of a superboss.Donald Trump was the only person who was cited as being an example of a bad boss Disclaimer I only read the first 40% of the book 2 I desperately wanted to like this book when I picked it up The same generalities are repeated through out the book I believe the same thing could have been written in 10 20 pages This is the first book that I have marked as read on goodreads without reaching till the last page it was getting so repetitive that I guess reading 40% was equivalent to reading the whole 3 I personally like story telling to emphasize ideas and concepts While this book is full of anecdotes but most of them are rather bland to leave any impression.

The book highlights unconventional competencies of hyper successful leaders who develop other highly successful leaders and mentors While the concept is interesting and almost compelling, the writing style lacks organization and spends significant page space to document the talent webs of these leaders which could have been summarized as a few charts in the appendix I wanted to love this book, however the reader has to work too hard to pull out the golden nuggets.