[Reading] ➶ What We Remember By Michael Thomas Ford – Dailytradenews.co.uk

What We Remember chapter 1 What We Remember, meaning What We Remember, genre What We Remember, book cover What We Remember, flies What We Remember, What We Remember 82d1335e3ee76 James McCloud, A Seattle District Attorney, Gets An Early Morning Phone Call From His Sister, Celeste, Announcing That Their Father S Body Has Been Found Police Officer Daniel McCloud Disappeared Years Ago, But A Bigger Bombshell Is In Store Evidence From The Body Proves That He Was Murdered

10 thoughts on “What We Remember

Michael Thomas Ford is a great writer and this is a great book I was hooked from the beginning and it just got better and better.The story is a murder mystery at its core, but also explores family dynamics in a way that most mysteries do not The plot structure was unusual it s laid out with varying points of view and time jumps these are two things that usually annoy me to no end, but here the techniques were used to enhance and propel the story forward Each POV character had a little piece of the puzzle to contribute and each time jump was used keep the pages turning.

What a ride So many turns Exciting to the end Best entertainment.

Audible It pains me a lot to rate this book under 4 stars yes, because in spite of my personal issues with the story, I can t complain about the writing style but for me What We Remember is probably the weakest novel I read until now by Michael Thomas Ford, BTW, one of my favourite authors.I find also difficult to explain WHY this one is less satisfying for me For the first time, while reading MTF, I have been torn between my objective and subjective liking disliking and accompanying contradictions Ah the plot The mystery here is not your typical one I d say that it s rather a family drama The reader has to deal with skeletons in the closet a lot of family s secrets The most intriguing part of the mystery for me is always a mental process, the investigating part, a game of cat and mouse, the way HOW a case has been solved There is no actually any investigation here We have a district attorney as a main suspect, we have his girl friend, a counsellor, we have a family of a murdered sheriff BTW, the main suspect is also his son , but we don t have any investigation This mystery could have been solved 8 years ago If the family members would have talked to each other We have, as always, a great character development But on the contrary to his other books, I couldn t find ANYONE, not EVEN a single character to care about Not to mention to LIKE anyone A lot of family members, but pretty unsympathetic Well, there was James, a main suspect in the murder case, but he wasn t really present in the story I don t consider it as a gay mystery I know, MTF is a gay fiction writer and a great one , this book won the Lambda Literary Award in the category Gay Mystery, sowhy do I complain Because I DON T SEE IT AS A GAY MYSTERY As a mystery, yes, but I have my own imaginations about the category This one doesn t meet them IMO I m not fussy BUT THIS COVERHAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BOOK My final verdict A great writing, an interesting family story, appropriate pacing, thrilling family drama, believable but not likeable characters, not strong enough but intriguing mystery atmosphere Not my favourite by Michael Thomas Ford, but still an enjoyable read P.S Blake Somerset did a great job.

Excellent Michael Thomas Ford is an excellent writer and one of my favourite authors So it isn t surprising that I liked this Each MTF book is so different from gentle family stories, to longer emotional sagas, to good old romances and now to this murder mystery overflowing with suspense.I was gripped by the story from the first page and thank goodness I had a day off so I could let myself be taken off into the story and soak up the tension and the intense nature of some of the characters I love a good mystery but this wasn t just good, it was weighty A brilliant and weighty mystery with twists, turns and surprises which I couldn t have seen coming.Daniel McCloud was believed to have committed suicide in 1983 but his body was never found Now in 1991 his body has been found buried in a trunk and he was murdered Daniel left behind a wife and three children but this isn t a close and loving family Each family member has their own struggles and issues with the past Celeste the oldest is married to Nate the sheriff and has two small children She has never really been close to her youngest brother Billy or to James the middle child.James is a District Attorney in Seattle He has a great career and doesn t regret leaving his small home town He was always the golden child and the talented one.Billy is the black sheep of the family He takes drugs but manages to hold down a job in the town s comic store He is also gay and has never felt at home in his family Right from childhood he felt the distance between himself and his siblings and he never felt his father approved of him.Ada is the mother of the family Her life with Dan had its ups and downs but she is shocked when her husband s body is found She is even shocked when evidence is found and James is accused of the murder Nate her son in law insists he is doing his duty by accusing James of murder but there is long and deep resentment between the two.And as the investigation gathers pace other resentment and truths come to light and dark secrets reveal things that were hidden beneath a superficial veneer of a respectable town In the midst of this swirling pot of revelations Billy finds the strength for the first time in his life to redeem himself and his family by seeking the truth no matter the cost.This was really thrilling and my best MTF to date although I love all his stories I loved this one because I knew from the first word that all was not what it seemed I also loved Billy the underdog and black sheep, and the way he evolves in the story to become a hero Best of all I loved the jigsaw pieces those seemingly inconsequential happenings and events, those passing observations and conversations that suddenly develop deeper meaning when pulled together.And there was the suspense and the growing tension I found myself holding my breath and tensing my muscles as I read and I just had to keep turning the page Thank fully I resisted peeping at the end but it was so hard The story develops through flashbacks and the author did this really well, managing to hold the pace and flow of the story together and in a way that was seamless My only criticism is that some of the main characters seemed to fade out at the end I wanted to see their different reactions at the end instead of hearing about their reactions through other characters I felt as if the story lost some of the character voices at the end but it was still a great read though.A gripping and thoroughly enjoyable book

A departure from Ford s usual fare, which isn t a bad thing We have great writing, a tight plot, and believable characters as usual in a Ford novel The chapters switch back and forth, past and present, which may put some people off There are also quite a few characters, and we get to see parts of the story from ALL of their points of view, which also may put people off a lot of head hopping Neither of these devices bothered me My only gripe not enough to make me not like the book is that NONE of the characters is really likable Lawyer Charly and, strangely, drugged out, burned out young Billy came closest to being likable And can someone tell me what ANY of the covers has to do with the book

Who killed Sheriff Daniel McCloud That s the premise behind this intriguing novel that explores the complex relationships between husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, and mothers and children More than a murder mystery, this character study asks the age old question can you ever truly know another person Candy V.

This murder mystery that is also a portrait of a family in small town New York is marred by constant flitting between times Normally, this isn t a problem but the chapters are so short, any narrative impetus is lost.

This book really annoyed me I don t really know why I finished it I guess I had never read the author before and I love Steve Walker, the artist who does his covers, though I will agree that neither of the covers had anything whatsoever to do with the book The book had so many problems I found myself constantly gritting my teeth, and though it did become ever so slightly readable at the end, it never got good or even okay.Several problems 1 No likeable characters.2 No rational decisions from the characters.3 In a book sold to gay men, we get She found the sweet tender bud hidden among the warm folds and began to massage it while she fantasized about the man in the pictures 4 I took a writing class once and the teacher explained how to draw someone in and make them think Your character gets a phone call from someone they dislike inviting them to a party They say yes through gritted teeth The reader knows they don t want to go but the caller doesn t, the reader gets the inside view, and they get to use their mind to work out that she doesn t really want to go This exact situation happens in this book but is of course followed by the sister explaining to the reader that she didn t want to go Well we know that, she just spent 20 pages bitching about the woman, give us some credit.5 Shirley Jackson s The Lottery is explained with James had read it three times each time he couldn t believe that Shirley Jackson had written something so strange It was weirder than a Stephen King story This is the second Stephen King weird reference in the book Get another reference.6 All heterosexual characters look on the gay character badly and call him queerboy and other names These are people who live with him and see him daily and in some cases even have sex with him, not all of these people would be homophobic And I didn t appreciate the constant use of anti gay slurs.7 At one point a character is charged with the murder and there are many, like 20, references to what a strong case there is against him But if you re sure he didn t do it, we re going to have to find some evidence to support it, because what there is now is pretty damning Here s the evidence His ring was found the coffin of the dead man, placed there eight years ago The end I don t know if you ve looked up the word circumstantial in the dictionary but this is the definition And so many times to keep going back to his impregnable guilt, it drove me crazy.8 spoiler The murderer wasn t blamed for the murder as she was a female so instead they blamed the man who was in the same room and unconscious at the time His guilt is a given we are to go along with for the rest of the book What 9 After the book is over, Billy, the alcoholic drug user, is sitting in a bar drinking alcohol and says he s decided to give up drinking and start a new life This is played for the happy ending What alcoholic sitting in a bar with a drink hasn t said this I didn t believe it for a second.

I ve read and enjoyed Michael Thomas Ford s previous novels which largely focused on gay life immersed in a variety of dramatic and comedic situations With What We Remember , he scores points for moving out of his comfort zone with what could best be described as a murder mystery wrapped in a backwoods family drama For me, it possibly could have earned a five star if not for a couple of glaring problems Without providing spoilers, let s just say those problems involved the main suspect and let s just say the author tends to re introduce characters long after you ve come close to forgetting about them Still, I can overlook it all because the story still drew me in and kept me turning pages Like an old friend said the wine may not be the best, but it still gets ya hammered LOL

Good read As with all of Ford s novels, the characters are real, like people you meet every day The murder mystery adds a twist that drives the novel and keeps the reader on her toes Not as believable as some of his novels, but still a really good one that I recommend highly