[PDF / Epub] ✅ The smell of apples By Mark Behr – Dailytradenews.co.uk

The smell of apples pdf The smell of apples, ebook The smell of apples, epub The smell of apples, doc The smell of apples, e-pub The smell of apples, The smell of apples 70e5e38170f Set In The Bitter Twilight Of Apartheid In South Africa In The S, The Smell Of Apples Is A Haunting Story Narrated By Eleven Year Old Marnus Erasmus, Who Records The Social Turmoil And Racial Oppression That Are Destroying His Own Land Using His Family As A Microcosm Of The Corroding Society At Large, Marnus Tells A Troubling Tale Of A Childhood Corrupted, Of Unexpected Sexual Defilements, And Of An Innocence Gone Astray

10 thoughts on “The smell of apples

I read this book for the portrait of South Africa, which was moving I feel that it connected me to a time and a place in a believable way I do not understand why the author decided to add random sexual trauma 3 to the end of the book For me it did not connect in any way to anything else that was going on Like the Kite Runner, it took a fascinating book and turned it into sensationalistic dreck I absolutely believe that childhood sexual abuse occurs frequently than we want to admit, and that it causes terrible harm, but I don t understand it as a literary conceit.

Ahhh the d nouement Defined by Wikipedia it isa series of events that follow the climax of a drama or narrative, and thus serves as the conclusion of the story from the Old French word denoer, to untie , and from nodus, Latin for knot Simply put, d nouement is the unraveling or untying of the complexities of a plot.Sounds easy, but why then is there such a problem with just this aspect of so many novels, and this one is no exception.It is the story of Marnus, a pre adolescent Afrikaner boy, told in his own words and in his own style The language is perfect for a young boy and the images and episodes are vividly portrayed The descriptions of his sister, parents, his best buddy, and the young girl they love to torment, are charming and brutal at the same time Every now and then Marnus adult voice is heard He is a soldier, fighting in Angola and it is 1988.But something is not quite right There is a lot of tension, political and social, in the family as well, and even a young boy cannot escape noticing it It is, after all, the 1970s The whole world is in political and social turmoil.The climax of the story duly arrives, and while I couldn t exactly see it coming, I could feel it coming I knew it was there, that it had to be there I was totally confused by the attempt to tie the climax of the childhood memory with the climax of the present day soldier s memory, so I waited for the d nouement And here I was sorely disappointed, because it was not trotted out, which is a shame, because there were several lovely possibilities, none of which was used.I loved the language and the feeling of the beginning of the story and the perfect portrayal of this, I assume, typical Christian Afrikaner family, but cannot give it than 3.5 stars Nope, after some reflection gone down to 2.5.

This is the story of Marnus, a young Afrikaaner boy growing up in South Africa during the Apartheid years It is a moving account of his childhood experiences and of his interactions with the world around him The Smell of Apples was a enjoyable read but also an insightful one The way Aparteid touches Marnus life defines his attitude and relationships with others His family live a privileged life but there seems to be the underlying, ever present threat that everything they and their forebears have fought for could all be taken away The distance they maintain from the coloured and black people around them enables them to maintain the myth and to hold on to past greivances and hurts Marnus mother didn t know her maid s last name even though she had been with the family for years and when the gardener disappeared after years of loyal service there was no concern for his wellbeing only the irritation of finding a new gardener and a stock take of what items were missing There is constant distrust and fear Apart from his parent s influence, Marnus is also indoctinated at school where he is taught a one sided view of their history which takes no account of the development of the world or of time moving forward It is stuck in the past The image and stereotype of the other races that were formed in a violent and difficult time are not allowed to change with the passing of the years By not engaging with the enemy and trying to understand them, the stereotypes are not challenged and are perpetuated as fresh in the 21st century as they were in the 17th and 18th There is no opportunity for reconciliation Every new betrayal or act of violence is held up as justification for deeply held predjuices and stored carefully in a large box called I told you so It seems that in order to live in a country where apartied is practised you either buy into the image of the past and vision of the future as purported by its supporters or you convince yourself there isn t anything you can do even though you don t agree with it So you do nothing Once you start questioning the status quo there is a danger that your life and relationships will begin to unravel Your itentity, values and beliefs all come into question sometimes it seems easier and less painful to go on living a lie Growing up in his secure and certain world, Marnus slowly begins to discover that thing s are not what they seem to be A well written and thought provoking book.

This book is about a young boy growing up Afrikaan during the 1970s South African apartheid era in a fairly privileged family with an authoritative father The child narrator was a great move here by Mark Behr because even though I did not agree with the views of the narrator, I was able to see things from that point of view Very descriptive prose in some places, great use of dialogue to showcase character flaw Though the book really did not talk about apartheid as I thought it would, it discussed racial and social divisions with much brevity The main character s father was an army man whose ideologies were passed to his family South Africa was given to him by God and he would fight to keep his country from black South Africans even the apples in South Africa was their doing, he told his son Eleven year old Marnus gets to show this environment through the mind of a child and as a reader, you get to experience his environment with him, hear about what he thinks of people who are not like him, learn as he learns, feel his devastating moments with him The simultaneous usage of past and present tense narrative style really worked well in this case.Until the adult narrator comes in Why Behr decided to have inner thoughts of the adult narrator scattered throughout the chapters, baffles me You get this parallelism young Marnus, and adult Marnus who is a soldier fighting in Angola Details about the war Nothing Transition to the war Nothing Instead you get random thoughts some scenes so confusing it makes you want to stick with the child narrator.As for the character flaws, it was hard to remember or love the narrator because you don t get to see the learned young man at the end Sure, there s something that happens at the end that changes his perspective but you don t get to see the character change There is also an incident that happens to him as a soldier won t spoil it but again, you learn about it through these weird snippets in the book.

So, I ll admit I totally misread this novel the first time, and I carried that misreading into a graduate class this fall five years after my first read and ended up liking it far less once my classmates clued me in on the fact that I was blind a moron Since my misreading won t actually be a spoiler, I ll tell you what I d remembered happening I d thought the General had gotten with Marnus s father, not another adult to tell you this would be the spoiler To me, this knowledge helped make sense of the traumatic rape that happens, to some extent If there had been another adult male homosexual pairing, the rape might have seemed reasonably like an outgrowth of repressed sexual rage which is still not at all permissible just logical Knowing what had actually happened made me much able to see the heavy handedness that had bothered a lot of other people in the novel In terms of what really happens, Marnus s family becomes a family of symbols very grim, unyielding symbols of the hypocrisy of national liberation in South Africa and the insidiousness of the racism and sexism that continue to pervade social culture and the family home I still find Marnus himself believable and endearing his voice is eerily objective, and it s easy to imagine an adolescent rehashing verbatim the racist diatribe he s heard from his parents in the same voice that he would use to recite bible verses in Sunday school Watching him come of age in the midst of so much trauma may be somewhat overwrought, but it s nevertheless moving and dredges up a lot of difficult to ask or answer questions.

As a Grade 12 student in South Africa, I was obligated to read a South African novel of my choice, in compliance with our syllabus Although it sounds terribly unpatriotic of me, I don t care much for South African literature Although I am proud of my country and its population, I feel little connection to its history perhaps because my parents only arrived here from Cyprus and Romania in 1992 this country s history is plagued by propagandistic and imperialist foreign powers who exploited the people and the land for their own benefit such disgusts me However, hearing the same refrain Apartheid was evil in every South African novel can become excessively tedious Warning Here Be Spoilers I must say that The Smell of Apples functioned as an interesting case study in the extent of indoctrination of the South African youth the beliefs that coloureds and Bantus had different blood, were unreliable, dishonest and stupid were considered scientific fact South Africa was nothing before the white people came South Africa was given to the white foreigners by God and they were obligated to protect it from the blacks and the supposed minions of the Antichrist aka the evil communists Beyond that, this novel was a mind numbingly boring story about a rich little Afrikaaner boy who worshipped his perfect father revealed to be a psychotic paedophile , idolised his mother to the point where my inner Freudian would jump up and down while pointing and shrieking Oediopus Complex , an annoying big sister clich much and a mentally inferior, abusive best friend The Smell of Apples was a meagre 200 pages, but it took me days to persevere through this book Initially, I had thought that I had chosen a children s book by mistake, due to the immaturity of the prepubescent ignoramus who served as the narrator until one of the scenes occupying the 1988 time frame comprised of a one page description of the protagonist s penis I didn t know quite what to do with that information I felt as if the author included the scenes from the war torn future, as well as random incidences of sexual abuse and supposed and or actual infidelity, in order to supply a brief reprieve from the monotony of the actual plot Also, just as the novel would begin to introduce some interesting material, the author nipped the seemingly fascinating trajectory of the story, and instead gave us fickle, bland monologue of the protagonist this was only a relief when the book actually ended.Unfortunately, we were left with unanswered questions What did Ilse want to tell Marnus after their father beat him Did Marnus forgive and forget his father s disgusting act of violence against his blood brother What became of Marnus and Frikkie s relationship And were they kind to Zelda now that Marnus thinks she s pretty In conclusion, the only effect this book had on me was an increase in my disgust of imperialism and propaganda, and a feeling that I exchanged my valuable time for a pointless novel and permanent emotional scarring.

This was a striking book about South Africa in the 1970s with a consideration of the harrowing legacy of this period Whether or not they agree with it, most students of colonial post colonial literature are familiar with Frederic Jameson s controversial thesis made in 1986 that all third world literature is national allegory Personally, I think that because an author loses control of his work once a reader picks it up to read, it is difficult to come to a conclusive decision such as this one Certainly a student of post colonial literature might pick up a work and be looking for such allegory and draw conclusions in line with Jameson s argument Although I wouldn t today classify South Africa as third world the whole scheme of first, second, and third world has become messier after the end of the Cold War I think it s worth considering how Behr s debut novel fits into Jameson s thesis I think that neatly packaging The Smell of Apples as national allegory is misguided, although the history of South Africa or characters abuse thereof deeply influences the novel, there is than that Marnus s story shows how the legacy of South African fathers I say fathers because I think the book mainly emphasizes the father son relationship, plus South Africa in this period was quite a masculine society affects lives of their sons It explores the relationship between father and son at a period when the father is still his son s hero, and the way influence or perhaps indoctrination is possible at this point But there is also a less political influence and horrific influence the rape I m still trying to think about how this is used at a symbolic level but at the literal level it is a horrific moment and clearly demonstrates another, darker, legacy of fathers.The use of Moby Dick as an inter text is interesting I was uncertain about the purpose until the exchange between Ilse and Mr Smith the General I like that Marnus can t grasp the symbolic meaning of his favorite book, it shows how he is still innocent and reliant on other people for his bigger picture understandings, demonstrating the danger of the racist, sexist, so many other ists ideas of his father and other fathers of South Africa Marnus reads an abridged version of Moby Dick for children similar to how his history of South Africa he receives from his father is a simplified one for children But Ilse suggests that the real Moby Dick is fundamentally about having to choose between two sides Ishmael must choose between Queequeg and Ahab and betwee wha they represent This choice is mirrored in the characters of Ilse an Marnus So the book is obviously a South African novel But I think that its structure could be taken out of this context and applied to many other modern states that use a manipulation of history to prosper it explores the way youth are raised to honor and protect a state based on lies and the fathers who perpetuate these untruths The damage is unsettling and so is this poignant novel.

Wow.I found this tale at a yard sale or thrift store at least a decade ago and it kept me at full attention throughout the pages The key figure, Marnus is currently an adult serving as a soldier in Angola in 1988 While I don t recall why he is reminiscing about his past, it does lend insight into the broader storyline As a young adolescent, he reveres his father, a military man, who is respected though he comes to realize is not necessarily admired Life seems safe and protected for Marnus He has a family that has a position in community, a certain cachet as a result and a friend that follows his lead And yet we know that his perception of calm and serenity is not the quite reality, something is just underneath the surface but what is it exactly Marnus is privileged as a white and those who are not white are careful around him As we travel through his past, the reader becomes so involved in Marnus and his friend, discoveries of the opposite sex, puberty in all its power envelops us and we follow right along we have suspicions of course, we know that nothing in life, especially in childhood is as it seems Yet, when he finally realizes that his idyllic life and those he respects the most are not at all what he has believed, well we struggle all the same As the reality of his childhood is exposed in the light of truth, I remember saying aloud oh, no, oh no I even shut the book for several minutes Like Marnus, I didn t want to believe the truth I read hundreds of books a year, I have kept about 50 due to space limitation This was one I held on to for years, I don t know where it went I probably donated it because I didn t think I could see it with fresh eyes If that is the case, I regret it I found the narrator s voice true to form for his age and circumstances He is unsophisticated and that is part of what makes the reveal so shocking At the time of its printing, it definitely appeal to a wider audience with much regard than the jaded readers of today For those who like psychological thrillers dramas this would have much appeal than those who require gory, horror tales I am saddened that so many readers did not relish the subtleties this book offered I found it to be a treasure.

On some level I enjoyed this book for the most part It was well written with the voice of the narrator as a 10 year old feeling authentic and believable Most of the political and moral values made very uncomfortable reading but it was made understandable how they were passed down through generations through their own perception of history, however one sided that might have been and a degree of religious fervour plenty of hell and damnation available to those who cross the lines.For all that, there were some painfully discordant notes thrown in seemingly at random I won t add a spoiler but those that have read it will know the scene I mean and I suspect many will also have thought where the heck did that come from or words to that effect and maybe even so the question WHY Frustratingly the book ends just at the point where the story could have gone into far interesting directions We know Marnus ends up in the army and fighting a war but have no idea how he got there or what happened to his relationship with his father, mother and best friend after the incident Did he join up voluntarily out of family tradition or simply to get away from home we shall never know There are probably around 10 years missing and I feel these would have been fascinating both in terms of Marnus personal development and changes in SA itself.A bit of a curate s egg.

I have to revise some of my previous remarks and rating of this novel as I proceed to write my paper While there is not much in way of stylistic beauty perhaps the most significant attribute for me in reading a novel , I think that it is acute in its observations of the way that the family and nation place heteronormative policing pressures on an individual, our poor 11 year old Marnus I would love to spend time thinking about how it utilizes Moby Dick as an intertext It s definitely using MD to think about violent escape from society, homosocicalized identity, and race The white whale is swimming in the backdrop of this novel in some really elegant ways that s funny b c there is a bay behind the Erasmus household where whales can be seen I wish I would have spent time with MD to understand all that Behr is doing Finally, I think it achieves an authentic examination of Afrikaner prejudice and the rhetorical reversal that Afrikaners engaged in to frame themselves as victims It puts pressure on this stale idea with the intertext of Moby Dick and the very closely juxtaposed ideas of homophobia By the by, there are several luminous critical essays that fully wrench the juices for the text.